|POSITION TITLE:||COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR|
|EMPLOYER:||MILWAUKEE TEACHERS’ EDUCATION ASSOCIATION|
|DATE POSTED:||November 16, 2018 CLOSING DATE: December 7, 2018|
|STARTING DATE:||As soon as possible|
|SALARY & BENEFITS:||Competitive salary based on experience. Exceptional comprehensive benefits package and 401K with generous employer contribution. Vacation and paid holidays.|
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The MTEA is seeking an experienced Communications Director to support its members in the fight for economic and social justice by helping to ensure their voices are lifted up and heard. The Communications Director is a full-time, year-round position that requires the ability to work under pressure in a high stress environment. MTEA represents nearly 5,000 school education workers in the Milwaukee Public Schools. The MTEA is leading the fight to oppose privatization and to build the public schools and communities our children deserve.
The ideal candidate will have a proven background in communication, messaging, and written publications. In order to advance MTEA’s message, this candidate must possess exemplary verbal, writing, and editing skills, as well as demonstrated experience in the use of social media and desktop publishing. A commitment to working for progressive change in K-12 education, support for public education, and member advocacy is a prerequisite.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Develop and implement a comprehensive strategic internal and external communications plan that incorporates social media and other technologies, print communications, public relations, marketing and advertising, and community outreach activities.
- Develop and direct campaign communications, media strategy, member to member communication programs, and message development.
- Assimilate multiple and varied sources of information to use in preparing clear, concise and accurate statements for MTEA leaders often under a short deadline.
- Help to ensure consistency in the MTEA message by advising and supporting spokespersons in media interviews, public appearances (legislative hearings, school board meetings, etc.) and membership meetings.
- Write membership education and organizing materials for communications.
- Write print and electronic communications for distribution to MTEA members.
- Identify and train members to be media spokespeople (multiple languages).
- Write news releases, statements, fact sheets, news columns, talking points.
- Manage media lists and foster new relationships with new reporters/media outlets.
- Field media calls and organize responses to them.
- Proactively identify opportunities for earned media, membership education, and promotion of the MTEA, public education and MTEA members.
- Manage content, ongoing maintenance and further development of the MTEA website Facebook page, Twitter account and other communication and social media technologies.
- Work collaboratively with MTEA social media Organizer.
- Manage vendors (including: printers, mail houses, graphic designers, consultants, videographers, etc.)
- Perform as a member of the staff team to assist, support and collaborate with colleagues on a wide variety of Union activities.
REPORTS TO: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
- Excellent writing, editing, design and interpersonal communications skills.
- Demonstrated experience working with both internal and external communications.
- Familiarity with local and regional media relations.
- Experience in developing and implementing strategic communications for an organization or campaign.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with internal staff and leadership.
- Experience working with a culturally diverse group.
- The ability to manage own work and the work of others with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and manage multiple projects at once.
- Previous experience with the labor movement or other advocacy organizations.
- Knowledge of current education, legislative, and political issues in Wisconsin as they relate to public education, including private voucher and charter schools.
- Knowledge of the political and legislative process at the local, state, and national levels.
- Experience working with social and new media.
- Must be available on weekends and evenings and have the ability to travel on occasion.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Relevant additional training in media and communications preferred.
- Experience in campaign communications, media relations, public affairs, or related work.
- Bilingual in Spanish/English preferred.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite and relevant software (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator) is ideal. Familiarity with Emma or similar email marketing software preferred.
OTHER REQUIREMENTS: Valid driver’s license and auto.
A complete application must include a one-page cover letter, a resume, and three one-page letters of reference in which the three professional references describe their direct knowledge of the work or experience of the candidate in the field of communication or public relations. Letters must contain the references’ contact information including name, position, mailing address, e-mail address, and phone number.
Submit application to Benjamin Ward, Executive Director, MTEA, 5130 West Vliet Street, Milwaukee WI 53208 or e-mail to Kathy Lehsten at email@example.com by 4:00 PM, December 7, 2018.
The MTEA is an equal opportunity employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.