Are you planning lessons for the Black Lives Matter Week of Action? Here are some resources to help you as you plan.
- Start with the James Baldwin, “A Talk to Teachers,” essay
This essay written in October of 1963 speaks to the need for teachers to be aware of who their students are. It’s a great starting point for all of us to think about how we view the children we teach and why Black Lives Matter.
- The 13 guiding principles https://blacklivesmatter.com/about/what-we-believe/
This is the link, but we like the PDF version better. It’s easier to digest, and has the principles grouped in a user friendly way.
The Black Lives Matter 13 Guiding Principles are a great place to start when developing curriculum or lessons to help students to learn that Black Lives Matter is a world view that can be embraced by all.
- Black Lives Matter in #PHLed Lesson Resources Overview https://www.facebook.com/The-National-Black-Lives-Matter-Week-of-Action-in-Our-Schools-192373061312325/?hc_ref=ARQnem-mMD4HWKoghmYl7mZbzmNI7
This is the Black Lives Matter at School official Facebook page
- African American Read In Tool Kit, NCTE, http://www.ncte.org/aari/toolkit?roi=echo4-37015111013-92042092-a9ff4900f60e566e71978cedbb25a475&utm_source=2016-08-09+Members&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Inbox
Posted last year, a guide developed by the National Council of Teachers of English to design and implement a read in focusing on issues that speak to Black Lives Matter.
10 diverse Books by YA authors of color to read in 2017 https://www.teenvogue.com/gallery/10-diverse-books-by-ya-authors-of-color-to-read-in-2017
This link to Teen Vogue features 10 high quality young adult novels that will pique students’ interest in reading.
- Teaching #Black Lives Matter Teaching for Change
A guide to themes and big ideas that can be addressed within a Black Lives matter curriculum.
Let us know how your planning and lessons are going.
MTEA is selling Black Lives Matter t-shirts designed specifically for this year’s week if action. Place your order here and pick up your completed order once we email you that it’s ready.