NEA/MTEA MEMBER ORGANIZER – SUMMER POSITION
MTEA is seeking applicants for a temporary organizer position for membership recruitment, member leadership development, and building member activist structures at a site based level. This position reports directly to MTEA Leadership and MTEA Staff.
Member Organizer Job Qualifications:
- Self-motivated and self-directed.
- Proven record of signing up members to the MTEA.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Be a dues paying member of MTEA, including teachers, EAs, substitutes or bookkeepers.
- Community or school organizing experience a plus, but not required.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- In possession of an insured vehicle and valid drivers’ license.
- Proven experience working with diverse communities.
- Spanish speaking a plus, but not required.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
- Recruit 30 potential members to the MTEA over the course of the summer.
- Organize and mobilize members.
- Attend regular meetings with MTEA Leadership and MTEA Staff to discuss progress and plan activities.
- Phone calls, one-on-one home visits, schools visits, meetings, and other interaction with members and potential members.
- Enter data in a database on a daily or weekly basis.
- Report to MTEA Leadership and MTEA Staff.
Interviews will be held May 3rd and May 4th.
This is a 25 hour per week summer position with some scheduling flexibility, starting May 23rd for Early Start Calendar members and June 13th for Traditional Calendar members.
This position is dependent upon securing NEA funding.
Compensation: $600 per week.
Letters of application along with (2) letters of recommendation from fellow MTEA members who can speak to your candidacy based on the qualifications listed above are due no later than 5:00 p.m. Monday April 30, 2018, and should be emailed to Kathy Lehsten at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NEA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER AND ENCOURAGES WOMEN, MINORITIES AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES TO APPLY.